28 Apr National Volunteer Week 2017
Happy National Volunteer Week!
Points of Light designated April 23-29 National Volunteer Week for 2017.
Many Arlington non-profit groups have been celebrating this week by giving thanks and putting the spotlight on their existing volunteers.
At BM Smith, we used the opportunity to draw some attention to our non-profit partners of BM Smith Gives Back, educating residents on how they can volunteer in many ways right in their own neighborhood!
As part of this initiative, we asked several groups to host a table in a mini volunteerism “trade show” at our 3 largest residential properties, inviting residents to enjoy refreshments and raffle prizes while they visited the tables and learn more or sign up for volunteer opportunities.
We held 3 dates, one at each property (Tues-2121; Weds-2200; Thurs-Penrose Square). Local non-profits who participated included
- AHC Inc. (affordable housing, educational programs for children & families)
- Arlington Free Clinic (free medical care for uninsured, low-income adults)
- Aspire! Arlington (children’s literacy)
- Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (programs such as computer literacy, food distribution, mentorships, and more!)
- Doorways for Women & Families (domestic violence and sexual assault victim advocacy and services)
- RPC (Residential Program Center, homeless and substance abuse recovery center)
- AFAC (Arlington Food Assistance Center for families in need)
- Bridges to Independence (shelter and services for homeless & at-risk families in Arlington)
Each organization gained anywhere from 5-30 new contacts for potential volunteers to their organizations. It’s not too late to sign up to volunteer or learn more — you can click on any of the organizations above and find out more about their specific volunteer needs at this point in time.
Finally, see the photo collage below for some visuals.